Meelick round tower was built sometime between 923 and 1013 AD, and is one of only five round towers in County Mayo. Meelick round tower is built on the site of the monastic abbey of St Broccaidh, which was once the principle abbey of the Barony of Gallen. The tower is situateted about 5 km south of Swinford town just off the N5.
Settings; f/4.5, 1/400, ISO-100, @13mm. Lens used; Sigma 10-20 f/4 EX DC.
The tower stands at 22 meters high (although the cap is missing) and the circumference at the bottom is 17.5 meters. The doorway is about 3.5 meters above ground level. As part of the Millenium celebration there was lights installed around the tower, and it is now visible at night time if travelling along the main N5 to Castlebar.